The Hotel Chesa Randolina
The large farmhouse in Sils-Baselgia was built in 1906. Because the Courtin family also farmed on the location, it had a large barn for the cows as well as a typical hayloft. The kitchen and simple rooms for the hired help were on the north side.
In 1918 the son, Andrea Courtin, took over the business with his wife, Ursula Fausch. In 1936 the childless couple took in both of Mrs. Courtin’s godchildren, Andrea and Verena, after the death of their mother.
Mr. Courtin passed away in 1939 and his wife ran the business until she married Christian Scherrer in 1942. After the marriage of their son Andrea to Waltraut (née Haussmann) in 1957, he took over the hotel and expanded the horse and coach transport business. In the same year he opened a regular transportation service by horse in the Fex valley, with over 20 horses in service at times.
In 1961 a part of the building underwent its first extensive renovation and was transformed into a small boarding house with beds for guests. The farm continued to operate at the same location. With the second expansion in 1964, the farm premises and the barn were transformed into a hotel. At its opening in June of 1965, Chesa Randolina could already offer 54 beds on this beautiful site on Lake Sils. The horse and carriage business continued to remain an important pillar of the enterprise at a new location.
The private house was built on to the main house in 1969 and has also been used for the hotel since 1980. Andrea Courtin passed in November 1969. His wife ran the hotel and the carriage business after her remarriage to Hans Clavadetscher in 1971. In 1974 the farm and the horse carriage enterprise were discontinued. In the following years continual renovations and extensions have resulted in modern and up to date accommodations for 70 guests in the 3-star-superior category.
Since 1993 the hotel has been run by their son, Tomas Courtin, and his family in the third generation. In the same year the hotel experienced a further expansion in the Residenza Crastella, which offers 8 luxury apartments, each for 2 guests, with a magnificent view of Lake Sils.
Chesa Randolina is derived from the Romansh language and means “house of swallows”.
Barn swallows and swifts take advantage of the location of the house in order to build their nests on the roof and return year after year.